Friday, June 10, 2016

My Ride Is Over For This Year - I WILL be back!!!

My ride is over - for this year...

I suffered a water-pump failure. 

It took two days to get the parts. 

In the process of fixing the water pump, the clutch actuator arm broke. And of course they didn't have one in stock and can't get one until Tuesday or Wednesday. They did try to weld it back together, but it's aluminum and the repair can't be trusted. 

The trip is not over. It's not a loss. I will persevere.  I've learned a lot and determined that my choice of bikes may not have been the optimum choice. None of the modifications I made failed except one small bracket after the bike went down the third time. I experienced two spectacular crashes and twice the bike decided to lie down and take a nap when I was remounting. I made the five water crossings without incident. The trail is steeper and rougher than depicted in any of the YouTube videos. 

All in all I had a wonderful time on the trail and learned a lot. 

I'm renting a truck and hauling the bike home. I will effect repairs and make another attempt next year. Maybe with the same bike or maybe with a 250 or 450 which may be a better choice. 

The bike suffered several mechanical failures due to age and metal fatigue. It's an old bike. Don't diss old bikes or old riders, we've endured more than most of you have and don't give up easy. 

Like I said in an earlier post, "Failure isn't falling down, failure is in not getting up and trying again."

I have not failed...I have not given up. I will conquer the TAT. I will be back next year. Anyone want to do it with me next year feel free to contact me on my blog, Facebook, or at my email address:  fhgaylor@yahoo.com

Best regards and Semper Paratus!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment